Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

6-11-13

   Let me start with a sweet experience Stan and I were able to share last night. I had come in later to tell him good night and when I stood by his bed I placed my hand right next to his. He quickly grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze. To some this may not seem like much but to us there is great meaning in it. Three squeezes means "I love you". I don't remember when we started this but it seems as if it has always been. As I have stood by his bedside each day I have squeezed his hand like this multiple times a day just waiting and hoping for some kind of response. I just needed to know that he knew I was there and loved him. Of corse I've wanted a response. When your husband and best friend is in the condition he has been in, you really feel at a loss and alone because even though I am right with him he isn't really there with me and for me emotionally. So last night I did the same "I love you " squeeze and this time he squeezed back!  I asked him if he was trying to say "I love you" and he nodded yes. The peace I feel from this one small motion from him is great. I'm so grateful for the tender mercies I have seen continually through this time and have faith that they will continue.
   Medically he is continuing to improve. He is now being weaned from the ventilator and each time they let him breath on his own he has done great. He has started doing some physical therapy and is progressing slowly. He has a long way to go because he is so weak. He is just barely able to hold his head up a little bit which is a step forward from yesterday. After being through what he has and then just laying there for two weeks, takes its tole on the body so it will be a while before he is able to get back his strength. As long as he is moving forward I can wait. As far as the fasciotomy of his leg, the incisions made to help with swelling, it is scheduled to be closed up this afternoon.  We are praying that when the doctor goes to close it the muscle is healthy and he can do it without skin grafting or further surgeries.
   We are grateful for the progress he has made and pray that he will continue to progress and in due time will make a recovery that he can be proud of and happy with.  We love you Stan. Keep up the fight!

7 comments:

  1. He is a strong man. So good to hear the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes. I do that same 3 squeeze thing with my kids and have since they were very young. To hear that you have had that response from him is amazing. Stan you are one strong man! Keep up the fight because your family and friends love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome update! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so adorable!! You guys are such a cute couple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everytime I read this I get goosebumps. Alisha and Stan you are so awesome. Thank you for sharing your life and challenges with all of us. Luv ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the updates. I look at the blog anxiously every day (sometimes several times) to see what progress he has made. You all are in my thoughts and prayers throughout every day. Keep up the faith...it is working.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is SO sweet! Made my day reading this. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete