Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Stan, "The Man!"

Stan, The Man is my my big brother!  The other day as I stood beside Stan in his hospital bed I reminded him that he was Stan The Man who can do anything. If it is to be done he will find away. I told him to hang in there and be The Man!
I would like to share just a few thoughts of "The Man" Stan is.
Stan is five years older than me and has being doing something every minute I can think of. To get Stan to stop and sit just doesn't happen. He is never idle and always anxiously engaged in a good cause.
I have been thinking back to when Stan met Alisha. I remember it was so fun to see him be so smitten with Alisha. The grin on his face is unforgettable as we would tease him. I remember being in his Bronco doing drive bys. Stan loves Alisha. He treats her so well. I remember going camping and Stan has this wall tent he was so excited to use. I think Alisha hadn't been feeling well that day and Stan had gotten a lot of the packing done. I remember them rolling into camp and putting up the tent. Stan just kept bring blankets, pads, & a cot. I think he must have washed the blankets cause he brought one to Alisha to smell to see if he had done a good job. Alisha's bed in the tent was as close to the best comfort you could have. I bet Alisha is thinking she would love the camp beds he provided over the cot in the well lit waiting room.  I have watched Stan over the years cherish Alisha a little more everyday. "What do you need dear?" Is always heard. Stan loves his dates with Alisha no matter how cheap or simple they are.
Stan's children know that if you are asked to do something you just get on it!  He is a great dad. Stan leads his children by example everyday. There has been some tough times in the Gurney home but as a family they stick together, work through them, and grow together. Stan has a special relationship with each one of them. He is able to love each of them in their own special way. He knows just the way and thing to do to help them. Alisha and Stan work together so well to raise their family.
Stan loves our Haavenly Father. Stan is one of His trusted servants. I have noticed Stan's countenance and spirit grow over the years as he has served The Lord. It doesn't matter where he is asked to serve Stan does it 110%. We have FHE once a month. The Stanley Gurney news was Stan was put in the nursery. Oh we laughed and looked forward to his nursery stories. I remember the day Stan was set apart as a High Council Man. Stan's face that day was full of graditude, fear, anxiousness, and commitment. If Stan is asked to do something you know you are going to get the best job. Stan loves serving and has trusted in the blessings his family receives by doing so.
Stan has helped my family so much. He is always thinking of what someone could use or do. He calls me sometimes to say what about this, do you need this, or I am bringing this over. He helped us a ton build both of our houses. Oh the questions I would ask. He would help me learn mostly with patience sometimes not  or I would get, I don't know figure  it out!  I think he just wasn't getting his work done cause I kept interrupting his. Stan the man stays with a the job until it is done and done right. A motto that is used in our family is "if you are gonna do it do it right! Stan lives up to this everyday.
GRANDPA GURNEY! Wow! We loved teasing him when we found out. I would call him Stan the Old Man! He is the best grandpa.. Trey is one lucky little boy. He has the best grandpa.  His grandpa is going to show him how to do everything. Sunday I watched Stan at our house hold trey and play with him. I was thinking,my brother is the best. Look how cute and good Stan is with Trey. The Gurney family like to fight over babies and who gets them first but with Trey you have to take a number cause you know Stan and Alisha are first in line.
I told Stan at the hospital I need him to come up behind me and grab my shoulders like the  loving brother thing he does. I need to here his, What's up sis? I need to hear his little laugh thing he does. This last Sunday I was telling him how entertaining it was to watch me try and put the horses in the trailer and get them home after Jace was thrown off Harley. He laughed at me as I said I just figured it out.
I have the best big brothers ever. I love to watch them be and work together. Things happen when they get together. Stan is a hard worker. I know Stan can fight through this. Stan is there for so many of us. Thank you all for your prayers and love. I look forward to find ways to serve Stan and his family. Like the miracles have began post it is our turn to help be helping hands in many more miracles. My determined  big brother was planning on building his house over the next few months   He would take on anything to save a few bucks. And the thing is you would think he had all the training he needed to do. Stan just dives in and figures it out and gets it done. And done the best and the right way. It is our turn to return the blessings to Stan that he has so freely given to those around him.
I know this is long and I could keep going on and on about Stan The Man. Please feel free to share your stories, memories, big or small. I know these can give comfort and help. I would love to hear from those of you reading this blog about "Stan The Man" and the kind of Man he is to you. We love you Stan and will be there for you and your family! Keep fighting and figuring it out brother!

I love you, Jalene

9 comments:

  1. After reading this I had to share. I am Stan's niece. Stan spoke in our ward on Sunday as part of the High Council of our Stake. I was very impressed with his talk on marriage. As I sat and listened to him speak I couldn't help but think of all of the things he and Alisha have been through. I want Alisha to know that throughout his talk he was constantly expressing how much he truly loves her. You could feel the strength of the marriage him and Alisha share. Alisha is the love of his life. He talked about how we all need to be concerned about other's feelings more than our own (especially those of our spouse), and how we need to work to serve one another any chance we get! That is exactly what Stan does, Serves! I can't even begin to count the endless times he has served Travis and I. Rather it is fixing something or borrowing something he is always willing and ready to help. I am especially thankful for all the times he has served and helped my sweet mother. Those moments hold a special place in my heart. I am so thankful for family and have great faith and comfort in our Heavenly Father's plan. I love this man! He is a great example to all of us. Keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan is the Man! An amazing MAN! My first memories of Stan are him helping my wonderful mother with all the things she needed. He would never complain, he just would show up and work hard. That meant alot to me and my sister. He is a great example of service to us. In recent years I have so many great times that I have spent with Stan. when we were looking for a house we saw our house for sale and had know clue were it was. As we started to drive to it, I kept saying this has to be kind of by Stan and Alisha. Sure enough right next door. When my husband saw that it was right next door to Stan he said "we'll take it. Thats the house. How cool would it be to live right next door to Stan." My husband practically kisses the ground Stan walks on. Stan is one of Cody's very favorite people. Cody loves to do work projects with Stan and talk about and go hunting with him. Stan has always been so good to invite Cody to go with him and help. I remember our car burning down in West Canyon and Stan coming up and working for hours to get it on his trailer and getting it hauled out. On the way out of the canyon he got a flat tire and he never complained. We all laughed about it instead. What an amazing guy! He has helped Cody give me and my children numerous blessings. Even at odd hours of the night. He even would come fix our heater at odd hours of the night so we could have a warm night. He was very good at teaching Cody how to fix things also instead of just taking over. He has helped us so much and is always there for us. Just on Monday, the day before this happened we had a picnic up west canyon. As I sat there I was thinking about what an amazing man he is and how much he loved his wife and family. Hope had been begging for a ride, but first Stan made sure he went on a ride with just Alisha, then he took the time to take Hope even though they needed to leave to get Jace to work. Oh man, I could go on for hours, my mind is full of amazing things Stan has done. He loves cute Trey. I remember being at his house when Rachel brought Trey over once and Stan sprinted and pushed everyone out of the way so he could hold him first! I remember thinking someone broke into my moms house and Stan was outside as I ran to my car. He dropped everything right were he was and got in his car and followed me over. No one had broke into her house, joke was on me. But we stood there laughing about it for along time. That just shows how much he cares for people. Sorry so long, I just love Stan the Man and could go on forever, We love you so much Stan! You Are truly one of the most amazing men that we know. Keep fighting uncle Stan. Love, Cody and Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful! Keep the stories coming. I think they will really help the family and Alisha can read them to Stan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Alisha and the Gurney family because Alisha and I used to serve in the Stake YW Presidency together. What a family!! Stan spoke in our ward on Sunday and I loved listening to his advice on marriage. It was so evident that he loves his wife!! I love you Alisha. Hang in there. Know that you guys are in my thoughts often andalways in my prayers. Thank you for the updates. I have been checking constantly to see how things have been going. Much love--

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stan is THE MAN. He is the go to guy. I'm blessed to be Stan's sister. I have enjoyed him every year of his life. His smile and excitement for life, his love of nature and ability to work, his excitement as he gets something broken to work, his love foe learning, his tender feelings and yes "tears", his "fix it up and make it work, his constant service and mostly his love for family.  He makes me laugh.  I used to watch him build Legos and fire trucks in the dirt  and now he can build almost anything and drives a backhoe just for fun. "Who buys a backhoe? The same man that has his family Christmas card picture on the backhoe".    It was a cute card!!!   He was in seventh heaven when Bryan and I took just him on a camping trip in the uinthahs.   He slept in the bottom of our camper and fished and hiked and loved every moment.   He cries at weddings and thrives on difficult challenges.  He is tender, loving and not always patient.  He has served me in so many special ways.  He has fixed countless broken items, he has helped with cars, sprinklers, houses, yards and anything I have asked.   At times I call him with a problem and it is seriousness to me and he just says "deal with it" then over he comes to help me anyway he can.   He loves me and he shows it.  It is common for us to end a phone call with I love you's.  we talk often because I always need "Stan the man".     Monday we all went on a picnic together Stan waited to let me in the gate.   I almost didn't go on the picnic but he called to make sure I was coming. I said "people are more important than the work I would get done."   I'm so glad I went I can still see him riding behind hope on the fourwheeler.  Great big smile and so proud to be a dad and enjoying the together time outdoors.   He has a tender testimony and reminds me to serve, love and enjoy life.  More later.     I love you forever and am eternally great full for your love and service to me and countless others.   Stan it is time to get up and moving we all need you!   

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stan is my dad, best dad a child could ask for. He has taught us so much growing up, things from wood works to driving to even changing the suspension on my car. A couple weeks ago we worked on my car for a few hours fixing my suspension and as it started getting late I said dad lets just finish it in the morning and of course he said no we will finish it tonight. so of course around midnight we finished my car.
    One of the many things he has done for me that I will never forget is back in sixth grade I had had a very bad asthma attack and was asleep for most of the week, I was not able to do much and dad had to help me out a lot of the time. One of the nights he came and asked me if I would like a blessing, he gave me a blessing that night and I started feeling better soon after. I am so thankful that he has the authority to do that.
    I have always enjoyed having my dad around, times joking around with him in the kitchen, teasing my mom with him, laughing our guts out while playing a board game. The other day we were helping make dinner (sausage and pancakes) so my mom had me bring him the sausage out of the freezer. He grabbed it and looked up at me and had a sad face, dropped the sausage and said ugh its frozen, why would you give me frozen sausage. of course he said this in his German accent. moments like these I play through my mind.
    Love you daddy! Keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My big brother. "Stan the man". What's up? I think that is just his phrase. The thing is when he says it it means so much. It is like a loaded question. He is truly saying in two words: how are you, is you family good, got anything you need, have you been doing anything fun. All of it in just that phrase. Sometimes I believe he is hoping for an answer of something he can do or for just to put on his list to keep him busy. I can't share all he has done in my life. One thing is he never wants to miss out on the "FUN" if there is work or a project happening he can hardly wait to do and feels sad he didn't get to "play" if he was not there to help. I am grateful for all the times he has helped and taught my family. Him and my other brothers have taught Dan,my husband, tons about cars. The first time we needed brakes on our truck " Stan the man" taught Dan how to do it. He saw it as fun but also as helping teach self reliance.
    My brother loves the mountains, the outdoors, and The Lord. He showed me a great example on a few occasions when I knew he was struggling with what heavenly fathers will for him was. I remember him loading up gear and going camping by himself. He didn't take much stuff and I thought it was odd. I questioned why he would go alone. That was his time, his way, to talk with god. He wasn't really going camping he was going praying. He would come home and I could feel and see the spirit with him strong. He taught me through this example. That we must pray and rely on Heavenly Father.
    Hang in there big brother. Love ya. Larene

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been putting this off cause I knew I would be sobbing by the end, but here goes...
    I am not sure anyone really knows what Stan and Alisha mean to me, and how much they have influenced some major decisions in my life. I remember seeing them in love as high school sweethearts and thinking that that is what I want when I grow up. I remember wearing a fluffy pink dress to their wedding. I think that is the first wedding I remember. I felt like a princess. I remember how pretty Alisha looked and how happy they looked.
    A few years after they were married my family was in a car accident and the guy that hit us was an attorney. He drew up a will for my parents and they listed Stan and Alisha as our guardians should anything happen to them. Not that I ever wanted to lose my parents, but I was thrilled with who they picked in case that happened. I remember watching their kids when they would go on dates. I have always thought they were the ultimate couple. If they couldn't make to forever than no one could. I remember the pure joy on Stan's face as they came running in the house, holding hands, after a quick trip to Vegas and how giddy I felt as they shared their news.
    Stan is always smiling. I love the sound of his laugh. It makes me smile every time I hear it. I love his dedication to Alisha and their family. I love the way he adores Alisha. You can see it in the way he looks at her.
    I love Stan and Alisha and their sweet family and am praying for you all! Keep fighting Stan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stan spoke in our ward on a high council assignment the Sunday before everything changed. He spoke about the love he has for his wife, eternal families and the gospel. You could tell he cherished Alisha and his family above anything else. That has been my only interaction with Stan, but I was deeply touched and my children have prayed for "Brother Gurney and his family" multiple times day. Thank you Stan for sharing your testimony and touching our family.

    ReplyDelete